A few days ago I erupted into an angry post on one of my message boards after somebody called people who log food,obsessive. Surely I can see the person's point that this can lead to an obsession but to lump everybody that logs their food into the same group was just wrong. I tried to explain there is a line between healthy awareness and obsession; however, my efforts for this person to see my side(and a few others) was pointless. If you don't feel logging food is for you then DON'T do it. It is that simple,on the other hand, if you want to change something about yourself then this could be a good tool. Logging food isn't about just counting your calories, it's making you aware if you eat emotionally, out of boredom, or maybe you over indulge because you are not getting you nutrients and that can make you crave food.
I admit I could stand to lose some body fat, especially in the mid section, and the old saying goes "great abs are made in the kitchen". After logging my food I was aware I was over doing portions on certain foods and not enough on the others forcing an imbalance in my nutrients. The human body doesn't need a mass amount protein unless you are a highly active athlete, even then only 2g per pound of body weight. Protein is not energy and will not be stored as such, so if you cut carbs and healthy fats for protein you are doing your body a disservice. This is what I learned from logging my food, that is not obsessive! I am feeling much better and when I don't I can see if my diet was a factor in that. Also keeping my calories in/out in balance I know I am getting what my body needs to function while burning the body fat i want.
If you feel your food logging in getting in the way of life (obsessive), seek a professional to help you out. If you feel logging food is not for you don't do and don't judge others for doing it. We are all different and some people are just okay watching food without logging, but some of us need that visual and that will help us change the habits that are holding us back from our goals.