Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Inconsistent Workouts

I have been very up and down with workouts. Saturday I did a total body calisthenics light with some kettlebell swings, but Sunday was nothing. I really really wanted to run, but the humidity this last few weeks have been dire! It is also a topic I am reading in my Athletic Training textbook, humidity can be a dangerous environmental factor. Mainly the reason is because you are sweating but the moisture is not evaporating off the skin, which could cause unstable fluctuations of your body's core temp. Not to mention that excessive sweating also throws off your delicate balance of sodium/potassium/calcium levels leading to dehydration and muscle spasms (all play a roll in hydration as well as muscle contractions). Really not a road I want to mess with for trying to push myself TOO HARD! It is no excuse because a mild 2 mile run would be safe and well within my abilities. I do have to get off the longer runs or nothing mentality. It's get out there and try!! I am not focusing on races or anything now, my focus is to be consistent with quantity of runs for my schedule at the moment.

That said, Monday I did Firm's Body Sculpt Blaster, a mix of cardio type weight movements with no rest. It is also very short at 35 minutes. I also did 2 segments from Trudie Styler's Pure Sculpt (one arm and one leg workout). I really like the Pure Sculpt workout thus far. I have to still finish the 2nd arm and 2nd leg routine.

Yesterday, I realized that Pure Sculpt has a warm up segment as well so I did that and the 2nd core routine. It was a nice flow with unique perspective. It is definitely not like regular Pilates, but a combo of core focus awareness and flexibility. I also did workout #2 from the Pit Twenties workout. This was mostly punch/kick bag drills with some plyometrics added on at the end. SUPER INTENSE!

Today was a planned rest day, not sure what to do. I want to do Yoga, but I want to do cardio. It should be a light workout regardless. Workouts at super intensity everyday will not get me where I need/want to be with strength or even weight.

Now speaking of weight! I cut my calories down again. Without workouts my calorie goal is about 1600 give or take. If I do workout between 1600-1800. I was noticing a difference in the abs until that womanly thing hit! UGH I HATE THAT THING! But I notice I still felt good with that range, still got key nutrients I needed. Despite my belief that vitamins should come from food, I started taking a multi-vitamin "just in case". It seems to help my morning workouts anyway so I will roll with the placebo. Vitamin and fish oil are the only supplements I do take. I don't think endless pills will fix a problem I have. Just being aware and making the changes needed will do that! I am confident with the nutrition part now. Just have to get a consistent workouts again.