This whole depression thing is for the birds. Causing emotional and physical pain, it is really hard to pull ones self out of it. I have been through behavior therapy for years (because I do not like the meds), but sometimes it's hard to forget what you have learned. I am starting to come around because I fought day by day to get myself together. With that, I was able to get a great workout in today. It's hard work to self talk positive things every minute and to try to move through life as if all was normal, but it is important to keep the flow until this too shall pass.
I went for a walk the other day, but the heat really wiped me out! I did nothing yesterday. This morning I braved a workout I knew to be advanced but figured I could always do only half if need be. Nope, as hard as this workout was I was able to finish the whole hour. Michelle Dozois Peak 10 Cardio Strength was a great set up of body conditioning with weights (some power moves, some isolation lifts, and some combination upper/lower lifts) and higher intensity cardio. The workout goes basecamp, ascent, climb, peak. Basecamp is more the rest period and setting up for Ascent which is 3-4 minutes of strength conditioning work. Climb and Peak are the cardio segments; with Climb being moderate intensity (some higher intensity moves like burpees but not many per set) building up a small combo, and Peak being the all out give it your all HIIT segment (it is a short segment so doable). I did have to pause at some spots to further catch my breath and changed up the moves a bit (jump lunges are to hard on my knees to I did ski hops). She repeats each "block" twice, and within each block is the levels mentioned above.
There was not much of a warm up with this workout, which disappointed me. The first block was the warm up which means I couldn't use heavier weight. The cool down was pretty long at about 7-8 minutes, which was welcomed greatly.
I am pretty impressed that while I have not been overly consistent with my workouts, I was able to complete this one. Plus high intensity or longer duration workouts help with endorphins so that helps with being "in the dumps" (because that is what armchair therapist of my family likes to say).